Are you interested in earning hands-on experience in your career path of choice?
Our Internship Program may be for you! Our internship experience is an exciting learning opportunity for college students to participate in various departments at Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo to achieve learning goals associated with their field of study.
Interns will be carefully monitored by the Volunteer Manager and their managers to ensure that they have an opportunity to actively participate in his/her learning experiences, and if applicable, that they meet the requirements of their educational institution for academic credit. The program features a learning agenda complete with objectives, observation, reflection, evaluation, assessment and periodic performance evaluations. Internships last for 14 weeks.
How is this program structured?
Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo’s Internship Program consists of an exciting hands-on experience that lasts for a minimum of 13 weeks. Internships are unpaid, however, at the successful completion of an internship period, the intern will receive complimentary tickets and letters of reference.
Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo uses a multi-faceted approach to ensure a positive learning experience for our interns. The program is structured through use of a learning contract, daily tasks/curriculum, open communication, record-keeping and evaluations.
What positions are available?
Current internship opportunities include positions within our Animal, Education and Operations and Administration departments (see the top of the page).
PAST INTERN COMMENTS:
“The experience I gained at the Zoo has definitely helped me so far with my job search. I’ve gotten interviews specifically because of the work I did at the Zoo. Potential employers have been impressed by my knowledge and experience in development, as well as the professionalism and office skills I gained while at the Zoo. Before starting my internship at the Zoo, I did not have any experience in development but my manager and other staff members were more than happy to teach and guide me. I was always treated with respect and like an important, contributing staff member. I couldn’t have asked for a better internship experience and I’m happy to know that my former supervisors are more than happy to provide me with recommendations and support.”
- Office of Development Intern
Who is eligible? Applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Be a Junior, Senior, or Master’s level students or recent graduate.
Please see the Internships/Deadlines section for important dates. To be considered for a position, applicants may apply online below and must provide cover letter and resume attachments.
Intern Schedule Requirements
- Must be willing and able to commit to a 14 week internship
- Animal Department Interns must be able to commit to a schedule of a minimum of 25 hours per week. Some nights and weekends may be required.
- Education Department Interns must be able to commit to a schedule of a minimum of 15-20 hours per week. Some nights and weekends may be required.
- Operations/Administration Department Interns must be able to commit to a schedule of a minimum of 15 - 20 hours per week. Some nights and weekends may be required.
If an internship offer is made:
- Candidate will be responsible for a non-refundable $25 Application Fee.
- All offers are contingent on the successful completion of a criminal background screening.
- Education Department offers are also contingent on successful completion of a Level 2 fingerprint and background screening.
- Animal Department offers are also contingent on receipt of documentation of negative TB test within the last 12 months and Tetanus vaccination within the last 5 years.
INTERNSHIP DEADLINES/TIMELINE –
January 2 – Applications are due to the Zoo
January 24 – Students notified of status
February 21 - Spring semester begins
May 31 – Spring semester ends
April 2 – Applications are due to the Zoo
April 26 – Students notified of status
May 24 - Summer semester begins
August 31 - Summer semester ends
July 4 – Applications are due to the Zoo
July 26 – Students notified of status
August 23 - Fall semester begins
November 30 – Fall semester ends
October 1 – Applications are due to the Zoo
October 23 – Students notified of status
November 26 - Winter semester begins
February 28 – Winter semester ends
Interested in applying for an Internship at the Zoo?
Click here to view our current internship opportunities.
For more information about internships,email our Volunteer Manager. Please note that internship applications are now only accepted online and may no longer be submitted by mail, email, or fax.